Greece and Turkey not only share a long-standing territorial dispute involving Cyprus, but are also engaged in a maritime border dispute in the Gulf of Aegean. The situation has nearly escalated to an armed conflict twice, and is historically the driving factor behind Greek defense procurements. The country's lack of domestic defense capabilities and the extensive capabilities of the Turkish military have driven Greece to procure sophisticated defense systems from foreign OEMs in order to strengthen the country's strategic assets and protect critical infrastructure. During 2007-2011, Greece accounted for 4% of global arms imports, making it the fifth-largest arms importer globally.
As a percentage of GDP, the country is expected to reduce its defense expenditure over the forecast period, from the 2011 level of 2.0%, to 1.9% by 2016. The total defense expenditure for the forecast period is projected to values US$31.7 billion, and in accordance with its commitment to the protection of civilians and critical infrastructure, Greece is expected to allocate an average per capita defense expenditure of US$564.4. Over the forecast period arms procurement is forecast to value US$8.8 billion, which corresponds to 28% of the country's total defense expenditure for the same period. The remaining 72% is forecast to be invested in the training of the Hellenic Armed Forces, the MRO activities of existing defense systems and the salaries and pensions of military personnel.
This report offers insights into market opportunities and entry strategies adopted by foreign OEMs to gain a market share in the Greek defense industry. In particular, it offers in-depth analysis of the following:
• Market opportunity and attractiveness: Detailed analysis of the current market size and growth expectations during 2010-2016, including highlights of the key drivers, to aid understanding of the growth dynamics. It also benchmarks the sector against key global markets and provides detailed understanding of emerging opportunities in specific areas.
• Procurement dynamics: Trend analysis of imports and exports, along with their implications and impact on the Greek defense industry.
• Industry structure: Five forces analysis to identify various power centers in the industry and how these are likely to develop in the future.
• Market entry strategy: Analysis of possible ways to enter the market, along with knowledge of how existing companies have entered the market, including key contracts, alliances, and strategic initiatives.
• Competitive landscape and strategic insights: Analysis of the competitive landscape of defense manufacturers in Greece. It provides an overview of the key defense companies (both domestic and foreign) along with insights such as key alliances, strategic initiatives and a brief financial analysis.
• Business environment and country risk: A range of drivers at country level, assessing business environment and country risk. It covers historical and forecast values for a range of indicators evaluating business confidence, economic performance, infrastructure quality and availability, labor force, demographics, and political and social risk.
• Analysis of defense industry market size from 2005 through 2010 and forecasts till 2016
• Analysis of defense budget allocation
• Benchmarking with key global markets
• Market opportunities
• Defense procurement dynamics
• Industry dynamics
• Market entry strategy
• Competitive landscape and strategic insights
• Business environment and country risk
Reasons To Buy
• Gain insight into the Greek defense industry with current, historic and forecast market values
• Gain insight into market opportunity and attractiveness
• Gain insight into industry procurement dynamics
• Gain insight into industry structure
• Gain insight into the regulations governing the Greek defense industry and the potential market entry strategies with an expert analysis of the competitive structure
• Identify top companies of the Greek defense industry along with profiles of all those companies